Monday, September 24, 2007

Your Call 092507 The Real Wealth of Nations

What's wrong with traditional economic theories? On the next Your Call, we’ll have a conversation with Riane Eisler, author of The Real Wealth of Nations: Creating a Caring Economics. Here in the U.S., the top one percent of the population own 40 percent of the nation’s wealth. We’re the richest nation in the world, but we have the most expensive healthcare and our children are more likely to die than those in countries with a lower GPD. How can we create an equitable and sustainable society? It’s Your Call with me, Rose Aguilar and you.

Guest:
Riane Eisler, author of The Real Wealth of Nations: Creating a Caring Economics.

Click to Listen: The Real Wealth of Nations

1 comment:

TheRootSystem said...

While I'm sympathetic to the view that the largely male rulers of the world today have screwed things up I have trouble hearing so much about how this is connected with the essential nature of the male gender. I am a man and my heart aches at all the things that your speaker and others have spoken of today. I am not convinced that nurturing and caring, the home, community, desiring that people be free from want, hunger, war and strife are primarily the province of women.

If men are characteristically drawn to war, poverty, selfishness, insensitivity, narcissism, I think things are simply hopeless. I don't believe this, however. I think that to some degree this is an urban myth that has gotten out of control. I think men do care about these things and are often twisted from this by a culture that tells them they shouldn't, a culture that perpetrates that myth. I think we can join together, men and women, not just women and "enlightened" men, but all men and all women to create the world being discussed. I think it is in all of our hearts.

It is painful to keep hearing about how these are simply women's things. I think these are human, values, values that we share, men and women, through the deeper connectedness of our shared nature

I don't like the male/female dichotomy, especially the dichotomy that blames men for the condition of the world. I think we all need to take responsibility together, both for what the world is and for what we want it to be. If we don't take a stand like this, together, someone always ends up disempowered.

--Kenoli